Ultimate Empire at War

• March 23, 2017, 03:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to increased bot activity, and because the mod is no longer being developed, member registration has been disabled until further notice!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: December News  (Read 17785 times)

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
December News
« on: December 02, 2010, 11:00 pm »

Good evening,

Due to the Mod of the Year award and several other factors, this monthly post is a little earlier than usual. First, the entire UEAW team thanks everyone who voted for us. We didn't expect this at all, and we're very happy about the confidence placed in us. We will do our best in the coming weeks to fulfil your expectations.

It's my pleasure to announce the publication of several new screenshots (see here), and the publication of a trailer within the next few days. Even if the trailer doesn't show a specific level of our mod's progress, we have recently Chris declared inactive, and put a remarkable amount of progress behind us.

Thus, we have implemented a complete sub menu system (for further explanation see later on this post) and implemented a new tech system. In addition, we have almost completed all the models now , so this is what remains before the release of V1:
  • MP GCs
  • AI
  • Balancing
  • Heroes (partly)
  • Coding of the VA sounds into the game
  • Some minor things to be fixed, bugs and various minor flaws in some models
  • Perimeter outpost (sorry, created by Chris before he left, not uploaded)v
This list was created by me to give a better overview of the mod progress
While Chris was more concerned about secrecy, I'm more inclined to be transparent about our progress.
Some information follows regarding the sub menu system and tech systems.

Sub Menu System
Since we wanted to bring a lot of new units into the mod, it was clear from the beginning that the 26 build buttons would not be sufficient for all the units we will add. The fact that in every era, more than 11 Special Structures are available in space, means half the available space is gone already.
With all the new heroes and space units, and the new tech systems (more on that later), the limit of 26 buttons has always been impossible for us to work with. So we had to opt for an alternative and we finally came to the Sub Menu system.
Chris wanted to implement this from the beginning, until he was declared inactive. He had uploaded some icons of this sub menu, but hadn't uploaded anything else. For this reason, we had to start from scratch and needed some time to implement the system. There are 3 subcategories: ship menu, structure menu, and research menu.
By clicking on each specific menu button, the other buttons are hidden and the relevant unit or structure buttons are shown. This system only works in Single Player mode, but there is no way to circumvent this problem and unfortunately there are no alternatives to this system. Therefore, as preliminary information:
The multiplayer is unfortunately somewhat reduced because of the FoC engine requirements, so the tech system we have implemented does not function in multiplayer.

Tech system
Now a few words about the tech system. In normal EaW research is linked, so that when the Empire researches the components of Death Star (tech levels), they get lots of nice unrelated technology as a by-product. This isn't realistic. So we opted for a new tech system to try and fix this. Individual techs will be researched, specifically new ships, and only the researched technologies will be enabled. In early eras, this means that for the first corvette units (unlocking the Foray Class) , corvette technologies must be researched; or, to unlock the Thranta Class, cruiser techs must be researched. Researching each component will unlock further research. This system is also adapted for realism. It will cost a lot to research a ship class, more than the individual unit. The time per research has been increased. However, a special building for research is no longer necessary because the research is usually carried out on the planet's surface - so for V1 (as a space only mod), this is not relevant. The tech tree for era 1 (Light Side) can be viewed here.

One last note about a release date: We are now increasingly focusing on the recording and release of a trailer that also shows the internal team and fans that we are making good progress. A specific release date cannot yet be determined. Originally we planned a release for Christmas, but this will be unlikely to happen due to some problems lately.
What can be expected in any case, is a release no later than February and possibly even January - but I will not set a January date, as we may continue to experience problems - and nothing is worse than a disappointed fanbase.

I wish you all a beautiful first Christmas week

with best regards,
Shimrra
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:39 pm by Shimrra »
«Long life to Shimrra, beloved of the gods!»
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

«Would you look upon me, Adept? Would you look upon me and die?»

Darthme

• Jedi Grand Master
  • Keeping the SRI Alive since 25/10/10665 A.S.
Re: December News
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 03:01 am »

Great work!  I can't wait for V1 so I can start mapping for V2 :P  I believe that Chris is at Medical School or some other form of college, in case you were wondering.

ITTOA666

• Youngling
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 05:54 am »

This mod is gonna be amazing. I'm VERY excited.  :great

GarthHutt

• Youngling
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 06:31 am »

And I thought the mod was great before! This is so much better, it's like the game is going to be complete!
(Or like a totally different game!) Keep up the good work, and may the force be with you! :ultimate-eaw

UDP--J.Y.F.Xue

• Development Assistant
  • Jedi Master
  • 2nd Imperial Experimental resurrected air division
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 07:25 am »

Great work!  I can't wait for V1 so I can start mapping for V2 :P  I believe that Chris is at Medical School or some other form of college, in case you were wondering.
He, ditched, us.

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 07:45 am »

Yup, we have fired him. Nah, not fully correct - we told him to give us his tasks and he turned fully inactive.
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

Argonnath

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 02:53 pm »

This is the Ultimate mod!

"Our forum is not entirely a forum to a game, it's more a game to a forum"  Shimrra

FullMonty

• Jedi Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 03:29 pm »

Yup, we have fired him. Nah, not fully correct - we told him to give us his tasks and he turned fully inactive.

Yikes. I always liked Chris. However, THE SHOW MUST GO ON. Pretty stoked for next year.

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 03:51 pm »

We always liked his nice news posts, but his behaviour towards the team and as part of the team was horrible, as well as it was non public :P
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

FullMonty

• Jedi Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 12:26 am »

We always liked his nice news posts, but his behaviour towards the team and as part of the team was horrible, as well as it was non public :P

Well, then congrats!! Throw off those chains of oppression.

Darthme

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 01:33 am »

So Chris just quit? Or did he have to leave?

UDP--J.Y.F.Xue

• Development Assistant
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 08:35 am »

So Chris just quit? Or did he have to leave?
who gives? if he's gone, then he's bloody well gone. end of story. (plus, bardika, you might wanna vomit out those cookies Chris gave you...god knows whats in them)

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 09:49 am »

He had to give us his more important tasks, we haven't fired him and he had some of the not so important tasks still, but he decided to leave.
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

FullMonty

• Jedi Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 11:26 pm »

who gives? if he's gone, then he's bloody well gone. end of story. (plus, bardika, you might wanna vomit out those cookies Chris gave you...god knows whats in them)

that explains this parasite I have.

The Nameless Sith Lord

• Jedi Council Member
  • Forum Wars? What's that? I can't seem to remember.
    • The Final Forum
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 05:50 am »

...so... all that stuff he blamed me for way back when (mostly in The Game that Shall not be Named), some of it WAS his fault.

Anyways, good to see you guys are still truckin' along.
-???-

UDP--J.Y.F.Xue

• Development Assistant
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 09:46 am »

alrighty folks, lets stop this Chris-flaming. everything is history now.

can't wait to see the trailer in action seducing our fans....it gonna get real-epic!

also...hehe, i'll be ready to get embaressed when i hear myself in the mod..... well, i might have done fine, but yeah, listening to yourself as HUD voice and knowing that it gets distributed worldwide still makes you shy.

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 10:10 am »

Don't worry, your sound files are really good! No reason for shyness!
And yeah, chris is history now.
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

Thraxis

• Youngling
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 04:54 am »

It's looking awesome!  I can't wait to for it to be finished ^_^

I'm glad to know it should be ready by Feb!

:ultimate-eaw

UDP--J.Y.F.Xue

• Development Assistant
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 07:30 am »

..just to let you guys know i feel really warm surrounded by our loyal supportive fans :P

EDIT
Don't worry, your sound files are really good! No reason for shyness!

ohhh, thank you! :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:40 am by UDP--J.Y.F.Xue »

koji66

• Youngling
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 07:05 pm »

Well happy to see things are still moving along at a somewhat good pace. Cannot wait to see the fully finished product in action. Hopefully it be better then we all expect it to be.

Lord Zack

• Padawan
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 12:34 am »

So, if you don't have to research ship classes in later eras, does that mean you'll have battlecruisers and such at the start of the tech trees for those eras? It kind of annoyed me that you wouldn't start with at least some kind of crusier, and battlecruiser since they've had the technology for millenia.

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 09:30 am »

I have said, that you don't have to research the CLASSES. You have to research there advanced designs and redevelopment of old ships and so on. But the ship classes theirselfs are already researched.
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

Capoeira

• Youngling
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 08:51 pm »

Have you considered releasing parts of the mod? And will the auto updater automatically update the mod when it's finished?

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 08:53 pm »

Both no.
Releasing parts of the mods: Senseless, because it wouldn't be V1 then, it would be V0.95, V0.96 and so on.
Automatically update: Try to update with this updater 1GB...want to see this...really...
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

Argonnath

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 09:01 pm »

I guess that v1 has installer like v4, right?

"Our forum is not entirely a forum to a game, it's more a game to a forum"  Shimrra

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 09:08 pm »

Yup it will. It's really easy to distribute patches with this system.
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

Lord Zack

• Padawan
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 03:29 am »

I have said, that you don't have to research the CLASSES. You have to research there advanced designs and redevelopment of old ships and so on. But the ship classes theirselfs are already researched.

Why do you have to redevelop old ships? I could see it for the Rebel Alliance, they have to build up they're space fleet practically from nothing. "Research" could consist of developing sources to obtain ships, etc. However the Empire ought to start with an established fleet (not necessarily meaning that they'd have them built). since they previously fought the Clone Wars. They should at least have Venator and Victory Star Destroyers, among other things.

Not a big deal, it's a pretty established RTS trope, even though I personally don't like it. I'm eagerly awaiting v1.

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 06:58 am »

Uhm, their not reinventing the reel. The Clone Wars Designs were really old, so they had to rework them, to fit the newer techniques.
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

master_betulia1

• Youngling
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 11:44 pm »

When you release V1, will you make a back up file so that if the primary download is "corrupt" by the way of extracting, such as my recent issues in the troubleshooting board that were fixed with a different file.

Capoeira

• Youngling
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 12:00 am »

A big file huh... So will this mod be playable online and do you think people will play online?

UDP--J.Y.F.Xue

• Development Assistant
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2010, 04:46 am »

^yes, online is still supported. I'm sure there will be people wanting to do a few online matches. you would, right?

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2010, 06:51 am »

The primary download isn't corrupted. I tried to download/unzip/install it several times and everything was fine...
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

master_betulia1

• Youngling
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2010, 07:57 am »

I'm not saying that it is or is not, just that my computer was reading it as such until you helped me with the issue.

Lord Zack

• Padawan
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 10:18 pm »

Uhm, their not reinventing the reel. The Clone Wars Designs were really old, so they had to rework them, to fit the newer techniques.

For the beginning of the Clone Wars, I can get behind that. They hadn't fought a war for a thousand years. The heaviest ship they'd have would be the Dreadnaughts, eighty years old at that time. They'd have to research more modern warships to compete with the Separatists. However, at the time of the Galactic Civil War, the Empire had not ceased military research and development since the Clone Wars. They already had Imperial I-class Star Destroyers, and according to some sources, had had them since the ending months of the Clone Wars. The Empire should, theoretically, have a full complement of classes from corvettes up to battleships.

Now I'm not trying to be confrontational. As I said before, this kind of thing is a long established trope. Also, it's not so much that they literally "reinvent the wheel", but more that they have to research things that they should already have.

Darthme

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 11:19 pm »

I'm assuming that you're talking about Galactic Conquest.  If v1 has a campaign, then that should be afactor, but for GC, it needs to be balanced as to be fair online and for single player.  It would be annoying to play as Rebels and have basically Cervettes and fighters to defend your planets when the Empire can attack you at any time with a massive fleet of SDs.

master_betulia1

• Youngling
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 03:59 am »

I've managed to defend myself with only a level two or three space station and what it could garrison, against SDs

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2010, 09:37 am »

Sure, but bombers aren't anymore able to hit through shields. But a station should be able, to take out one ISD II (without garnision of ISD) per station level. Means, lvl 5 starbase should be able to take out 5 ISD II's.
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

UDP--J.Y.F.Xue

• Development Assistant
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2010, 12:59 pm »

damn, its really not called a "Space fortress" for nothing :P

Richardc269

• Padawan
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 08:05 pm »

I myself can't wait for this to come out. Right now, UEAW and Zerox's mods are my favorites. I still play FoC at least once a day on average for a few hours (skirmish games), because the game's so fun to play, even though it's 4 years old. It's too bad that the company hasn't made anymore versions of it.

I'm probably assuming right that it'll be released next year instead of this December. I hope it's finished soon, I can't wait! :great

Capoeira

• Youngling
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 04:42 pm »

Have the developers been playing against each other and testing out the pvp features?

Around what time is the projected completion date for this mod? I won't be upset if you're a little off, but I would like to know if it's soon as in this month or later in February/March.

Darthme

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 04:09 am »

In my predictions, the mod will likely be released sometime either next month or sometime around April.

UDP--J.Y.F.Xue

• Development Assistant
  • Jedi Master
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2011, 01:28 am »

^it is getting closer.

Unknown Person

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I must see to see what should be seen.
    • Combat Arms
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2011, 05:12 am »

I believe that the mod will be finished soon, there has always been someone to step up at the last minute just to finish the mod. 2 years, or something like that, the Ueaw team has been working on this. I feel confident it won't take another year to finish this mod no matter how amazing they make.
I see things clearly know. Reality is a shadow of life for reality is flat. Reality is created in our mines not in the world. The edge of reality would be something that exists but doesn't exist. Shadow is the end of reality, so what is over the edge of reality. Would it be possible to be a shadow.

Argonnath

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2011, 04:04 pm »

I still remember when someone hoped v1 as a early Xmas present. It was 2009 then xD.

s-t-n

• Public Relations
  • Legendary Jedi Master
  • I have an Avatar...but its just of the Silence
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2011, 08:28 pm »

UEAW works in Valve Time :)

Check it out

Darthme

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 08:30 pm »

Lol.  I still cast my net for the mod to be done near April.  Maybe a birthday present?

Argonnath

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2011, 09:14 pm »

Does heroes respawn after dying in V1? I have played GC with against imperials 2 weeks now and I have killed yoda over 10 times  :P

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2011, 09:20 pm »

Well, I can ensure you that you won't kill yoda in V1 in any case - because V1 is spaceonly :P
Hm...heroes are respawning atm still. It is the <Is_Hero> tag which causes this "problem". And we need it to declare the units as heroes - so the respawn can't be prevented.
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

Argonnath

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2011, 09:32 pm »

Well I think that its good thing. You can play with your favorite character and if he/she dies you get your hero back. In eaw you can screw up and lose all your heros with ease.

Unknown Person

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I must see to see what should be seen.
    • Combat Arms
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2011, 05:09 am »

Awww but it wouldn't be realistic without a considerably lengthy respawn time, say 5 minutes maybe 3
I see things clearly know. Reality is a shadow of life for reality is flat. Reality is created in our mines not in the world. The edge of reality would be something that exists but doesn't exist. Shadow is the end of reality, so what is over the edge of reality. Would it be possible to be a shadow.

Darthme

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2011, 03:56 am »

^don't some heroes already have lengthy respawn times?

Argonnath

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2011, 06:54 pm »

When do you release January news?

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2011, 11:35 am »

Do I have to release each month a news? Think not.
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

Argonnath

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2011, 02:18 pm »

Well I guess not :P But would be great to have new pics or something. To see current state of this mod.

MMM2409

• Jedi Apprentice
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2011, 03:48 pm »

I agree with Argonnath.
 :ueaw  ???

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2011, 05:49 pm »

Well...to say the truth...we haven't made a really big progress. To be more precious: nearly no progress. I have got in the last days a reworked perimeter outpost...but the rest...well solar seems to have no attitude to continue work with AI, s-t-n has got some problems with his PC, graztok quite and I was frustrated because of the no-progress of the other team...so I was lazy with UEaW too and concentrated on RL-things...
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

Argonnath

• Jedi Grand Master
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2011, 08:35 pm »

Sad  :(
Now im going to kick handicap's [censored] back here. To join your team. >:[

Thraxis

• Youngling
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2011, 07:35 am »

Is there any news on how V1 is coming?

I mean, I totally understand if more delays have come up, I was just hoping for a January News type post that never came...

Best wishes
 :ueaw

FullMonty

• Jedi Apprentice
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2011, 12:26 am »

Even i know better not to ask that question. Just do what i do, pray every night to the Angel of Darth Vader, and don't check here but every couple weeks, makes the time go by faster. Also, buy a game to play besides this. You'll go crazy if this is the only thing you are waiting for.

odorofdeath

• Youngling
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2011, 04:32 am »

Yeah this was the first mod I looked at when I re-installed FoC... and now this is the one I care least about.

Rise of the Mandolorians is sweet, and Alliance mod is practically a whole new game... I will definitely play this the DAY it is released, but I no longer check the site every day religiously as I once did... mostly because none of the guys make posts anymore.

Dark Lord Link

• Youngling
    • DeviantART
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2011, 09:36 pm »

:o A new tab system?! Oh thank you!!

By the by, if and when the mod is released, would the coding properties that would enable the extra build tabs be disclosed? It would really be helpful. I love making personal mods when I'm bored, and I tend to be a little over-zealous in that as in I add too many units on the build bar. It would be greatly appreciated.  >:D

And I did say "If and When", so I am not implying or requesting such info be released now. :P

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2011, 06:55 am »

By the by, if and when the mod is released, would the coding properties that would enable the extra build tabs be disclosed?
How should we encrpyt our XML's and Lua's? ^^
You can use it, for your free time mods, but we won't allow others to use our system in other public mods.
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

FullMonty

• Jedi Apprentice
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2011, 02:50 pm »

So...is Fynbos back is he goin got help the staff out again? I'm just curious, don't call the wrath down on me. I would help, but i have no skill what so ever. Sorry mate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 16 queries.