Ultimate Empire at War

• March 25, 2017, 10:47 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Due to increased bot activity, and because the mod is no longer being developed, member registration has been disabled until further notice!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UEAW v1 Unplayable  (Read 1001 times)

Revan 225

• Jedi Knight
  • Bow befor me, for i have returned...
UEAW v1 Unplayable
« on: March 12, 2016, 12:16 am »

I followed the download instructions on the home page of this website to the letter, only to have the game unplayable when launched.

I tried both galactic conquest and skirmish, and I could not even see what I was selecting because everything only said "MISSING". When I tried some of these modes by randomly clicking on some "MISSING" I was able to open a game, but with well over 60-75% of basic HUD missing, all ability to view units, land, space, some planets, pause/play/fast forward, ect... It was as though only a hollow frame of what should have been was all that could be interacted with.

Also, before I get a response blaming this on me, not only am I technologically adept, I tried this seven (7) times with the exact same result. Let me repeat, I re-downloaded the ENTIRE thing seven (7) times with the exact same result every time. I know that the release may have been a while ago, but I am requesting a fix for this, as there must be some issue with the files that are being downloaded.

As it stands, after attempting to give v1 a shot, I cant even evaluate a single aspect of it other than the redesigned splash screen. 100% unplayable. Help is requested... preferably with a download link to the full - working - v1 release.

Edit:
Integrity verification check:

Size: 3.71 GB (3,994,021,517 bytes)
Size on disk: 3.74 GB (4,025,880,576 bytes)
Contains: 14,411 Files, 359 Folders
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:34 am by Revan 225 »
I have returned... bow before me or be destroyed...

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
Re: UEAW v1 Unplayable
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 11:43 am »

Of course reinstalling doesn't fix any problems - unless you fall into the rare case of 0.01% who actually have a corrupted download.

It sounds like the Mastertextfiles are not compiled correctly. Two reasons I can think of
a) You're using a client with another language. In that case, the ending of the MTF name will be different (_SPANISH instead of _ENGLISH for example) and the game can't find the MTF. You can either set the language or rename the MTF.
b) You didn't launch the mod as instructed via Launch.bat. Launch.bat (among other things) calls Build.bat that will build the MTF. The download does NOT include precompiled master text files, only spreadsheets that are used to generate them.
«Long life to Shimrra, beloved of the gods!»
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

«Would you look upon me, Adept? Would you look upon me and die?»

Revan 225

• Jedi Knight
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 06:28 pm »

a) You're using a client with another language. In that case, the ending of the MTF name will be different (_SPANISH instead of _ENGLISH for example) and the game can't find the MTF. You can either set the language or rename the MTF.
b) You didn't launch the mod as instructed via Launch.bat. Launch.bat (among other things) calls Build.bat that will build the MTF. The download does NOT include precompiled master text files, only spreadsheets that are used to generate them.

As to A, I use English. Native to USA, use all English environments, set as default.

For B, When I use Launch.bat, it only launches the base vanilla EAW game, it doesn't even launch Vanilla FoC.

So are there any other things that could help?

Edit: I use EAW: Gold on steam, as my original discs to EAW and FoC are lost.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:34 pm by Revan 225 »

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 02:46 pm »

Well, you could check manually if you have the MTF. It should be in \Data\Text.
Furthermore, I have no idea how Launch.bat can launch standard eaw. If you take a look at it, it calls swfoc.exe two levels above with the mod folder as parameter.
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

Revan 225

• Jedi Knight
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 07:53 pm »

Under Data/Text I have the MasterTextFile.xml and MasterTextFile_ENGLISH.dat (german as well). As for why launcher is giving me vanilla EAW, I have no idea, I didn't write the program. I only know the when following the instructions given, UEAW v1 is unplayable.

Here is the code listed in you Launch.bat

@echo off

@rem Turn on delayed expansion of variables (and call ourselves)
If not %1.==[]. (Cmd /V:On /C Call %0 [] & GoTo :EOF)

@rem Build the mod first
call Build
if errorlevel 1 goto error

@rem Launch the mod. We get the modpath by replacing the path two levels down
@rem in the current directory with an empty string
set MODPATH=%CD%
cd ..\..
echo Launching game...
swfoc.exe MODPATH=!MODPATH:%CD%\=!
goto :EOF

@rem On errors, wait for a keypress
:error
pause

Like I said, I am using UEAW Gold from steam. So I have all the files provided, I tried launching it many times the way instructed as well in other ways (launcher.bat doesn't work at all, only ever got it partially working the other way).

Out of curiosity, why did the staff never just make it more piratical by having at least everything set up properly in a folder that has been ziped and can just be extracted and placed into the Mods folder? Seems like it would be easier for players and modders alike.

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 11:11 pm »

Because we didn't care about deployment. The assets are still easily accessible and people without EaW gold (so the entire modding staff) don't have your problems.

It seems like EaW gold [censored] up things again. Afaik there are quite a few solutions to gold not being able to launch mods (I never had gold, so no experience there). Have you tried them?
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

Revan 225

• Jedi Knight
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 07:52 am »

I have successfully launched the following mods on UEAW Gold (steam edition) UEAW v4 (only v4), Old Republic At War, Stargate Empire At War, EAW FoC Alliance.

Each one launches and plays smoothly. I am only receiving a problem with UEAW v1.

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 09:27 pm »

As I said, this problem is most likely caused by the combination of EaW gold and the launching method. Since I don't own EaW gold I can't help you any further, but I can assure you at least, that the version on SVN is not broken to that point.
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

Revan 225

• Jedi Knight
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 11:28 pm »

So basically, instead of just taking a bit more time to release the files properly for both players and modders so that it can be easily distributed and used in any version of the game, ya'll are just going to leave it as is? Most of us who had the original discs don't have them any more and instead move to steam for cheapness and convenience. You guys may not have gold edition, but you don't need it to make a launch-able version for it.

If UEAW v4 can launch, then why not just compile the files for v1 in the proper format? Surely it cant be that much more work, because as it is, no one will be able to use "v1" with gold edition at this rate.

I understand it's released "as is", but the UEAW staff I knew when I was around were not so callous nor careless as to just dump the files and say "okay, have the discs ore your s.o.l., and leaving it in a format that was probably know ahead of time that would likely have complications is just sloppy.

Ban me, delete the thread, I don't care any more. I was hoping the spirit that made this mod what it was still lived, but I guess not.

To anyone who uses steam/gold: looks like its v4 or nothing.

Edit:

So in fact, UEaW is already a full product, but lacking some features

Yet despite this it was never properly released. A "full product" gets a proper release and not just dumped in a way that's poorly thought out, with zero thought for the rest of the community that has been supporting the project for years.

Because we didn't care about deployment. The assets are still easily accessible and people without EaW gold (so the entire modding staff) don't have your problems.

Last I checked the mod was meant for the public not just the exclusive staff or those who have only the original copies in disc format. Ross and Doro never would have released it in such a state and offered no real help in fixing it for all players to enjoy. The staff should have remembered that when they decided to take part in its creation.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:47 pm by Revan 225 »

Shimrra

• UEaW Leader/Coder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Grand Master
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 10:22 am »

So what do you want me to do here, buy EaW gold so I can test it for your case? Teamview into your PC so I can fix your bugs? I took the time and replied to each of your posts, despite the insults you constantly implicitly and now explicitly slung at me and despite UEaW being a finished topic to me for years now.
And now you have the nerve and arrogance to tell me I didn't care for UEaW. Mind you, I was the one who did most of the work for this version over the course of 2 years and pleaded with the community to get more actual help for stuff I couldn't do. I got none. And the version was not completed.
Yes, the current "release" is "broken". It is meant for modders. Not for players. Players can use it too, but they will find many placeholders and incomplete stuff. The version is simply not enjoyable enough for players to really have them supported.

And no back then I did NOT know that gold would cause problems - after you initially build the MTFs, the folder can be launched with any mod launcher like you're used to, you don't need the Launch.bat for it anymore. The format is completely identical to a regular mod.

Again, I don't get where you get your arrogance from - You haven't paid me, you weren't even around for the release, you haven't contributed a single bit to the work and yet you expect me to spend a lot of my free time to help you debug your system. And insult me for trying to help you.

This topic serves no other purpose anymore than to cater to your baseless complaining. If you want to discuss this any further, PM me.
-Locked-
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:32 pm by Shimrra »
    ―Yuuzhan Vong chant

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 15 queries.